Members of the network of universities that have signed a memorandum of understanding with the United Nations on cooperation in the training of candidates for language competitive examinations (the MoU network) meet with representatives of the language services and management of the Department for General Assembly and Conference Management (which oversees the activities of the language services at all four United Nations duty stations and the regional commissions), to:
- Review collaboration within the MoU network and propose ways to strengthen and improve it.
- Share initiatives and innovations in the training of language professionals and the training of trainers and report on the outcomes of outreach and joint training activities.
- Discuss and agree on ways to create and strengthen synergies between the academic training of language professionals and the needs of international organizations like the United Nations.
Four MoU conferences have been held to date:
- The first conference was held on 3- 4 May 2011, hosted by the University of Salamanca (Spain). Report of the first conference
- The second conference was held on 3- 4 May 2012, hosted by the University Mons (Belgium). Report of the second conference
- The third conference was held on 22- 24 April 2013, hosted by the Shanghai International Studies University (China). Report of the third conference
- The fourth conference was held on 16 and 17 April 2015, hosted by the Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia (Russian Federation). Report of the fourth conference
The fifth conference will be hosted by the United Nations Headquarters in New York in 2017.